Thursday, June 25, 2009

Photography Tips To Help You Take Pictures

Today, almost everyone can afford a digital camera and the hobby is getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. Looking at the speed that cameras are being launched in the market, you can get quite a fair deal of camera with backdated technology. Since digital camera is not the issue anymore, let's look at some tips to help you take nice pictures. By the way, I am focusing the tips today only about outdoor photography. If that doesn't interest you, you might want to come back later. :-)

1. When you are thinking of including the background in your pictures, try to look for something that complements your subject. It is nice that you can get a picture of your girlfriend sitting in a garden of lavender (just don't let her wear the purple dress).

2. If unfortunately, you can't find a complimenting background, you can always blur the background by activating the 'macro' mode of compact digital camera or increasing the aperture (same as lowering your focal ratio or f-number) when you are using a DSLR camera.

But either you are using a compact or DSLR camera, it is better that you can stand further from your subjects and zoom into them to get better effect of blurred background.

3. When you are taking pictures outdoor, it is very important that you be cautious about your environment. It is quite frustrating that when you have composed your shot and something budge into the frame to ruin the moment.

Even though you haven't snapped the picture, you will automatically look away from the frame and focus on the intruders. There are occasions that I nearly snap on the kid who run into frame and spoil my mood. Quite a grumpy photographer I am. Hehe. :-p

4. If you have any experience, it is quite difficult to get a nice portrait when you are visiting tourism spot. People are everywhere. If that is the case, you can either wait them out which will kill if you are as impatience as I am or you can compromise and take the picture anyway.

But after a recent trip, I have developed something improper. I will find an angle which I take the least part of other people (usually I keep them at the edge of the picture) and then I will use the photoshop to rub away the 'participants'. Now, this might mot work well for every picture. For those pictures that didn't work, I will try to add something with the photoshop again to try to cover them up.

5. Lastly, remember to take candid pictures. Now, this might not be a good tip to you because I personally like candid outdoor pictures. I don't know why but I think you should have fun and enjoy the outdoor. You should laugh, jump, run, and do all the wacky stuff outdoor.

Probably I have been too serious and stress at office and at home. Anyway, this is entirely up to you. If you are uncomfortable to do it, don't force it.

After all, digital photography is about having fun and appreciating the art.

I hope you have enjoyed my outdoor tips and I welcome any comments. :-)

Happy taking pictures,

Michael Wong. :-)

No comments: