Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Word About Candid Pictures

As much as I love to take candid pictures, not all people will appreciate the pictures especially the subjects you took into the pictures. There are people who don't like to have their face in pictures and I learnt my lesson the hard way during a few days back.

I was having dinner with a group of friends and being a photography fanatic myself, how can I miss the chance of getting the food and all the friends into the picture? But there was a particular friend of mine who refuse to get into the picture. She only told me that she hate to be in pictures. I should have listened to that instead of being rebellious and follow her face around with the camera. I thought it was funny and it was challenging. I told myself that the more you hide from me, the more I want to get your picture.

When I finally got her picture and showed it to her, she snapped (luckily she didn't snap my camera). She was furious and scolded me for disrespecting her. She was quite loud and almost all the diners and waiters turned to our table. I was shocked with her response and it took me a while before I realized that I might have violated her and started to apologize. I immediately deleted her picture and showed her that I don't keep her picture. Only then, she nodded and warned me again not to take her picture.

So, you see, there are people who are sensitive about you taking their pictures. And I am still bothered by the fact that she said I disrespected her. I was just trying to have some fun. I never thought I can offend somebody by just having fun.

But to think about it, it is my fault to be scolded. She did tell me that she wanted to be excluded from the pictures and I ignored her and chase her around with the camera. So, to my friend (you know who you are),

"I am sorry."

So, the next time you take a candid shot, remember to get your subjects' consent. If you are taking a picture of a stranger, I think it is good that you can go up to the people and ask for their approval before you keep the pictures and walk away. You don't want someone to chase after you and scold you on the street that you offended them.

Happy taking pictures,

Michael Wong. :-)

No comments: