Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Is So Fascinating About Photography?

"Hey, Michael, what is so fascinating about photography that you are willing to carry the heavy camera around? We saw you taking pictures of food, grass, sky, us and almost anything." That is what I get most of the time when my friends see me taking pictures.

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't really have a definite answer to that. You just like it. I guess.

Maybe the thing that inspired me to take up photography was my father death. When I went through his stuffs, I found that was hardly any picture of me and him. That again maybe is because my parents are working very hard to put us (the kids) to school. At that time, having a camera for photography is just a luxury we can't afford. I can still remember the time we used to borrow camera for our family outing.

Every outing with the family was fun and I can still recall what we did. The beach, the picnics and the laughter. I wish that I can show you the pictures but it is quite impossible now as we rarely have any pictures together.

Maybe the incident was locked into my subconscious and pushed me to take up photography. I am not sure. But what I can tell you now is that I enjoy taking pictures. Snapping the moment of my friends laughing, I have one great shot that she was laughing with her mouth wide open and her eyes close to a tiny slit. The pictures were hilarious but she prohibited me from publishing it. Great things are supposed to be shared. She just doesn't understand that. Sigh...

Another great thing about photography is the memory. When you look back at your pictures, the feeling of that moment just flow to your mind automatically. It is as if you can see the event, hear the laughter and feel that day again. I can't really put that into words because that is a feeling you need to feel yourself (also maybe I am not a good writer).

Just like that picture of my friend laughing, we never fail to make fun of her and see her blush and again taking her picture. :-)

You can have this kind of fun only when you have photography in your hands. Hehehehe......

Happy photographing,

Michael Wong. :-)

No comments: