Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Common Mistakes For Digital Photography Beginners

When you are starting new with digital photography, it is inevitable that you will make mistakes and I recommend that you give yourself chance to make mistakes. What do you have to lose? It is not that you have to spend money on film or anything like that, you can always delete the pictures that you feel is not up to your standard (you probably end up with slight increase of your electrical bills because of battery charges though).

And if you are serious with digital photography, let's take a look at the common mistakes that you see in digital photography beginners.

1. Too many distractions

I have to confess that I was a greedy person when I started with photography. I wanted to get everything into my pictures. I remember one of my pictures that I want to take the whole wall of graffiti with the subject in front of the wall but the picture was a total mess. There was no theme, no focus and everything seems to crying for your attention.

I was quite frustrated to how the picture turned out and I wondered how I can have everything while still have a good picture. It was not until my friend pointed out to me that it is common that we have to compromise with our pictures. We can't have them all. We have to give up some to have a good picture and that is when I started to give up on my dream. It was quite painful at that time. :-(

But after I stop being greedy, I found that taking pictures became easier. I hardly struggle to frame my picture and I no longer have to step a few feet back just to capture all the things and sometime sacrifice the details in my subjects.

With that being said, that leads us to the second tip.

2. Composition

After being in digital photography for some time, I realized that composition is very much important to your pictures. You simply can't take the camera and snap pictures as freely as you want. So, the next time you take your pictures, ask yourself,

"What do you want to show your viewers?"

When you understand that, you will know how to place and display your subjects so that they can stand out in the pictures. After all, photography is about showing the uniqueness of the subjects. :-)

3. Being too rigid

I believe you have been reading quite a lot when you started with digital photography. You are eager to improve on your photography skills and you follow exactly what you have read and the professional advice you have seen.

Now, these tips are great as guideline but they are not the law and you don't need to follow them to the dot. For all you need to know, digital photography is free to explore and you should improvise on what you have read. Who knows you might find something new and revolutionize the art.

So, a good picture doesn't means that the subject has to always be in the center. Shooting into the sun is not wrong when you want to capture the ray of light beaming on your subject and it can be fun to take a picture with your friend mouth full and eye wide open.

Ok. Ok. That might be too far away but the point is, you are not limited in a handful of ways to take picture with digital photography.

So, feel free to experiment with digital photography. :-)

Happy taking pictures,

Michael Wong. :-)

No comments: